Skip to main content

February 2022 Update

 Dear reader,

                    hi again!


I will spare you a lot of boredom regarding a lot of what I have been doing lately, with a TON of half finished sewing projects with not a lot of time to work on them, but I have been busy(ish) this last month! I completed two projects that I have been wanting to make for a long time now. An edwardian petticoat, and a definitely-not-historically-accurate medieval dress. I'll go more into depth about them in a bit. 

But I just wanted to let you know that a trip to a historical location is happening very soon. I'm not going to tell you where yet, though, because I want it to be a surprise! But know that I'm very excited about it!

Anyways, back to the projects.

The first one is the medieval dress, which was a rushed project that I made in a week, in preparation for a New Year's event. It is made of a brown cotton flannel, completely machine sewn apart for the sleeve, neckline, and skirt hem. I used a guide that I found online, and the pattern was drafted right onto the fabric. I really like this dress, it is very warm and comfortable. It's not 100% historically accurate, but then again nothing is. Sooo... yeah. This was a stressful (I had a deadline, which is not normal for me, as sewing is only a hobby) but very fun project, and I am happy I did it.



Next up: 

The edwardian petticoat. This project was higher on my dream list than the medieval dress(I'm not saying that I don't love it either, though). This petticoat was inspired by other petticoats from the early twentieth century. It is made of a white cotton voile, with the ruffle being a broderie anglaise. I found both in the Los Angeles fabric district. The lace at the bottom is an edging lace I found cheap at a craft supplies reuse. I think it looks really nice with the other materials of the petticoats. However, I'm not going to lie and say that it is perfect, because even though I love it with all my edwardian self, it has it's flaws. They're all on account of procrastination of the seamstress. By the time I completed the petticoat itself, I didn't feel like putting in the time to finish all the seams. I will definitely do it sometime, though. Maybe. Probably not. If I have time. We'll see. Annnyyways, I really really really love this petticoat. It fulfills all my frothy white historical summery dreams, so that's nice. All I need now is an outfit to wear it with, which will hopefully come soon in the next year.


That is all I made in January, but I do have a couple projects that are nearly completed and will likely be featured in my March 2022 update. Until next time, 

                                                                                      Ardent Modiste




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Edwardian Bathing Suit

 For a long time now, I've wanted an Edwardian bathing suit. So, with summer quickly approaching, I happily decided it was a good time to start making one. I am basing mine mostly off of this extant one in The Met Museum, which has the top attached to the bloomers, with the skirt on a waistband that I will put on top. This one is made of wool, but I will be making mine out of a navy blue quilting cotton. Mine will have a sailor collar with some shell buttons, much like this one. I will be frakenpatterning, using a blouse pattern in Authentic Victorian Fashion Patterns, and a bloomers pattern in my turn of the century tailoring book. I haven't fully decided what to do for the skirt but I will probably just do a circle skirt, or just a rectangle gathered up to a waistband. I am so excited for this project! Thanks for reading!

The Hamilton Project- An Update on The Stays

 Hello there, dear reader!          So if you have read   this blog post about The Hamilton Project , you will know that my friend Luiza and I are making a historical cosplay of Elizabeth and Angelica Schuyler, who are characters in the musical Hamilton.  I have a little update on the stays, which is the first garment of this project that I am making.      Mid-morning of a beautiful rainy day, the mail-human brought me the great gift- of linen! This linen, is special, being what I will use to make Luiza's and my stays. Also, I suppose I should address what stays are, being that it isn't really common nowadays to know exactly what the structured under-garment is underneath all 18th century clothing. Here is an example from The Metropolitan Museum of Art: These are British stays, from the late 18th century, made of blue silk. The shape of the stays changed a lot over time, due to needing the stays to provide the right shape for the fashion of the day. After all, you don't w

Ardent Modiste= Me!

Ardent: enthusiastic or passionate  Modiste: a fashionable milliner or dressmaker I'm not sure if other people feel this way, but in trying to come up with a name for this blog, I was feeling like everybody who has a youtube channel or blog had already used the great names. The ones that you immediately think of as the one you should use. So it took a couple hours, but I finally came up with a blog name I am proud of: Ardent Modiste.  It hits all the check boxes: it sounds old, it explains what I do, and it sounds kind of french.  Sounding french was not a check box, but whatever. I am excited to start writing here! But first, here's a little summary of me and what I enjoy doing(if my blog name didn't already explain it to you). My name is Zora, and I am a historical costuming nerd who loves Medieval, Elizabethan, 18th century, 19th century, and early 20th century dress.. I live in the United States and adore books, tea, and blankets. I hope to post often-ish, maybe once a