Skip to main content

Reviewing Historical Costuming Books!

 Hello again! 

I will eventually post some sewing projects of mine, but first I want to post this: Reviewing historical costuming books! 

The books that I'm going to talk about are:

-Making Edwardian Costumes For Women

-Authentic Victorian Fashion Patterns

-The American Duchess Guide To 18th Century Dressmaking

-Turn Of The Century Fashion Patterns And Tailoring Techniques


Alright, let's get started.






1. Making Edwardian Costumes For Women

By Suzanne Rowland

I like this book a lot. It has 10 projects to make within its pages. This book also goes into detail on what fabrics, trims, and techniques to use for each project. For some of the projects it gives the patterns in a scaled down form, which one then has to scale up. If a pattern is not scaled down then you are told how to draft the garment to your own measurements. This book also has lots of words on every page but other than that I think this book would be good for anybody who just wants some basic Edwardian garments.







2. Authentic Victorian Fashion Patterns

By Kristina Harris

This book is a go-to resource for anybody interested in 1890's clothing. It has within its pages fashion plates and the downsized patterns that go with them. All the garments are gorgeous, but do take a significant amount of fabric. For example, a walking skirt plus a shirtwaist plus a jacket might take about 5-15 yards of fabric, depending how full the skirt is, how full the sleeves are, and such. But I highly recommend this book to anyone who knows how to scale up patterns, and is interested in 1890's clothing. Just to let people know though, the pattern's are not from the entire Victorian era. I was fooled by this. The patterns are for just 1890's clothing, even though the title of the book is Authentic Victorian Fashion Patterns. This a great resource just not the best title.






3. The American Duchess Guide To 18th Century Dressmaking

By Lauren Stowell and Abby Cox

This book is AMAZING! It gives you the patterns, and the instructions for hand sewing the garments. So, basically, this book is a complete how-to about making your own 18th century gowns. It's great. Enough said.




4. Turn-of-the-Century Fashion Patterns and Tailoring Techniques

By S.S. Gordon, with a new introduction by Kristina Harris

This book brings out the aspiring tailor within me. Its pages are filled with waistcoats, jackets, coats, skirts, and many other things. I love to thumb through it at night, dreaming of projects involving this book. I hope to someday make an Eton jacket from a pattern in this book, as many other things. I love that it has tailoring techniques too! Overall, this is a great book!



Well, we're now at the end. You might have realized by now that I love all these books and that I can't choose a favorite. My only problem was with the title of one of them, but now that I know what that book really stores within it's pages, I greatly enjoy it and appreciate it as a resource.

Thank you for reading! 

(I promise I'll post a project soon!)
















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

An Edwardian Bathing Suit

 For a long time now, I've wanted an Edwardian bathing suit. So, with summer quickly approaching, I happily decided it was a good time to start making one. I am basing mine mostly off of this extant one in The Met Museum, which has the top attached to the bloomers, with the skirt on a waistband that I will put on top. This one is made of wool, but I will be making mine out of a navy blue quilting cotton. Mine will have a sailor collar with some shell buttons, much like this one. I will be frakenpatterning, using a blouse pattern in Authentic Victorian Fashion Patterns, and a bloomers pattern in my turn of the century tailoring book. I haven't fully decided what to do for the skirt but I will probably just do a circle skirt, or just a rectangle gathered up to a waistband. I am so excited for this project! Thanks for reading!

The Hamilton Project- An Update on The Stays

 Hello there, dear reader!          So if you have read   this blog post about The Hamilton Project , you will know that my friend Luiza and I are making a historical cosplay of Elizabeth and Angelica Schuyler, who are characters in the musical Hamilton.  I have a little update on the stays, which is the first garment of this project that I am making.      Mid-morning of a beautiful rainy day, the mail-human brought me the great gift- of linen! This linen, is special, being what I will use to make Luiza's and my stays. Also, I suppose I should address what stays are, being that it isn't really common nowadays to know exactly what the structured under-garment is underneath all 18th century clothing. Here is an example from The Metropolitan Museum of Art: These are British stays, from the late 18th century, made of blue silk. The shape of the stays changed a lot over time, due to needing the stays to provide the right shape for the fashion of the day. After all, you don't w

Ardent Modiste= Me!

Ardent: enthusiastic or passionate  Modiste: a fashionable milliner or dressmaker I'm not sure if other people feel this way, but in trying to come up with a name for this blog, I was feeling like everybody who has a youtube channel or blog had already used the great names. The ones that you immediately think of as the one you should use. So it took a couple hours, but I finally came up with a blog name I am proud of: Ardent Modiste.  It hits all the check boxes: it sounds old, it explains what I do, and it sounds kind of french.  Sounding french was not a check box, but whatever. I am excited to start writing here! But first, here's a little summary of me and what I enjoy doing(if my blog name didn't already explain it to you). My name is Zora, and I am a historical costuming nerd who loves Medieval, Elizabethan, 18th century, 19th century, and early 20th century dress.. I live in the United States and adore books, tea, and blankets. I hope to post often-ish, maybe once a